Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiremod Dwarf Fortress Bloodline game

Official Bastard of Wire Jat Goodwin's Avatar

Default Wiremod Dwarf Fortress Bloodline game

There's a bunch of us on the irc that play DF, so I think we should do a bloodline or succession game. Now I'm going to steal the boatmurdered intro for those of you who know what that is...

What kind of game is Dwarf fortress?

In a nutshell, Dwarf Fortress is best described as a 2-D base building game in the theme of Dungeon Keeper. The concept is simple, the graphics are simple; but the depth of the game is fairly awesome. (Even more amazing when you realize it is all the product of a single man gaming company.)

The dwarves you "control" are somewhat autonomous. They have likes, dislikes, and needs. While you can assign them specific duties and set basic orders, they have minds of their own and will act according to how they feel. You can give them a job, but that doesn't always mean they'll do it right away. Injuries to all animals and dwarves are tracked, down to internal organs and body parts. Dwarves have moods that are affected by the things around them. They can decide to throw a party for their friends, or they might stress out under strain and suddenly kill each other with little to no warning. Female dwarves occasionally get pregnant and, if they are exposed to trauma (say a goblin siege); they very well might miscarry. Sad thoughts caused by things of that nature can lead dwarves to tantrums or even suicide.

You begin with 7 dwarves and scarce few supplies at the face of a mountain. Your only objective is to survive the elements while building yourself as cool a fortress as you possibly can before you inevitably die. Simple enough, yes?

The game is displayed in a pseudo-ASCII style, which uses letters for objects in the game world, similar to Nethack. I hear you groaning, but you'll quickly catch the hang of things. The players provide excellent explanation of what is going on in each screenshot. I've included a general key to some common items, below; should you find yourself needing one.
    [/plagiarism]
    tl;dr Dwarf Fortress is much like running a mental asylum, full of dwarfs.

Ok, so how a Bloodline game works is each player gets one (game) year with the fortress then RARs the entire game and gives it to the next player. The reason for this is because sometimes the save wont work with different settings or versions and fixes. We'll also probably use the Mayday graphics edition as it also has a few fixes that fix things and a majority of our local players use that version. If you don't like it you can change out the tile set yourself but everything else has to stay the same.

This is the Obligatory list of players:
    1. Jat Goodwin
      ITSBTH
      Magos Mechanicus
      Fox682
      Vbitz
      joeyjo0
      Arni
      HP

If you don't know how to play or aren't very good you can chose to become one of the immigrant dwarfs on this crazed adventure. You will simply have a dwarf named after you and get to track it's progress or lack thereof. I usually name all my dwarfs after people on the wiremod IRC and some people seem to enjoy checking in on how "their" dwarf is doing.

I think that's good enough for now.
    If you want to learn more:
    Dwarf Fortress Wiki
    Bay 12 Games: Index
    May Green

IMPORTANT!
    I'll be keeping this thread heavily moderated. Once we get a list of players sorted out the posts will be deleted and we will start the game. Rulers of the fortress, when they hand it off to the next player, should provide a detailed post with notable events and screen shots.
    Shit posts that have no real content and are just like "lol" will be deleted.

Now LETS PLAY DWARF FORTRESS!
    Last edited by Jat Goodwin; 10-18-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    ͎̗̫̙̝̹͓̤̙́ͣͤ̈́̋̽̋͜f̺̦̠̻̜̼̮͓̖́̓̄̿̓̌̓̍̔f̵̳̻̜̹̤̱̊͒ͤ͌ ̅ͭͮ̾͟i̗͖̎͗̇ͯ̈̀̌̽c̯̮̉ͮ̾͟͡i̵̺̻̠̘̤̫͕ͯͭ̅͊ͤͦͧa̷͇̖̲ͥ͗ͪ̎ͤ ̽̾ͫl̶̈́̉̉͂̿̎ͯͥ̐҉̗͙̦̻̪ ̪̻͕̗̝͈̘͓ͬ̋̕͟B͚̲̍͢ā̸̪͔͖̟ͫͨ͜͝s͈͔͔͖͇͍̗͛ͯ̑̂͟t̮̤̬̩̅ͧ̎͑͗ ̃̕͟a̸̧̻̖̘̞̪̲͈͕̲͊ͭͪ͆̉r̯̩̮̬̥̤̗̙̃͌̑͊͢͞ď̠̦̲̥͢͡ ̵̶̢̱̲̺͈̘̳͕ͤͅo̯̞̙̦͖̪̽ͩ͊ͅf̵̦͈̣͙̰̎͋̿́ͅ ̛͕̹̫̰̱̾̓ͪ̌̽̊͘͡W̨̬̲̤̖̽̿͛ͨ͛̃̎͐̏i̛̼̳̝̺̝̭͙͋̑͑ͬ͠ṙ̼͔̪ͯͨͭ ̕e̸̗͕̰̒̃ͩͬ̾͆́ͅͅ

I Require More Minions! Join us on the IRC !
    List of Reasons to idle on the IRC: Wire QDB

Default Re: Wiremod Dwarf Fortress Bloodline game

This looks like it could get big, i will play, downloading by your link now
    Questions, Comments and Concerns about any of
    my posts can be directed to my website which is at
    http://vbitz.wordpress.com on the comments post

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    As example Jat Goodwin is "the official bastard of wiremod", but that isn't true.. He's very cute and huggable like a little puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vbitz View Post
    This looks like it could get big, i will play, downloading by your link now
    The game takes a LONG time to learn how to play :P
    ͎̗̫̙̝̹͓̤̙́ͣͤ̈́̋̽̋͜f̺̦̠̻̜̼̮͓̖́̓̄̿̓̌̓̍̔f̵̳̻̜̹̤̱̊͒ͤ͌ ̅ͭͮ̾͟i̗͖̎͗̇ͯ̈̀̌̽c̯̮̉ͮ̾͟͡i̵̺̻̠̘̤̫͕ͯͭ̅͊ͤͦͧa̷͇̖̲ͥ͗ͪ̎ͤ ̽̾ͫl̶̈́̉̉͂̿̎ͯͥ̐҉̗͙̦̻̪ ̪̻͕̗̝͈̘͓ͬ̋̕͟B͚̲̍͢ā̸̪͔͖̟ͫͨ͜͝s͈͔͔͖͇͍̗͛ͯ̑̂͟t̮̤̬̩̅ͧ̎͑͗ ̃̕͟a̸̧̻̖̘̞̪̲͈͕̲͊ͭͪ͆̉r̯̩̮̬̥̤̗̙̃͌̑͊͢͞ď̠̦̲̥͢͡ ̵̶̢̱̲̺͈̘̳͕ͤͅo̯̞̙̦͖̪̽ͩ͊ͅf̵̦͈̣͙̰̎͋̿́ͅ ̛͕̹̫̰̱̾̓ͪ̌̽̊͘͡W̨̬̲̤̖̽̿͛ͨ͛̃̎͐̏i̛̼̳̝̺̝̭͙͋̑͑ͬ͠ṙ̼͔̪ͯͨͭ ̕e̸̗͕̰̒̃ͩͬ̾͆́ͅͅ

i do see it as a complex game but it is just like virtul vilagers, i will play
    Questions, Comments and Concerns about any of
    my posts can be directed to my website which is at
    http://vbitz.wordpress.com on the comments post

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    As example Jat Goodwin is "the official bastard of wiremod", but that isn't true.. He's very cute and huggable like a little puppy.

Master of Mars Magos Mechanicus's Avatar

Count me in. I have some experience, with two small fortresses under my belt.

Also, for anyone completely new to the game, I recommend this tutorial. Dwarf Fortress is a game that's hard to learn by doing at the start, and this one starts small and builds up the complexity gradually which is great.
    I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor!
    -Professor Hubert Farnsworth

Probably? Of course I'll play.
    Which version do we use?
    "This does not mean that I fail to recognise that Lisp is still #1 for key algorithmic techniques such as recursion and condescension." - Verity Stob, Catch as catch can
    My blog | WireQDB

I'm not too great at playing -- I know how to but I'l probably end up killing everbody. My brother might be interested in this though.
    Dictated but not read,
    Abigail Buccaneer

We want a successful fortress, not a blood bath. Oh, and all elves must die. The spice must flow.

I'm in lol dont know how to play maybe I'll just play by myself so I don't end up making us lose
    I don't believe you read my sig, why don't you pm me to prove that you did read this!

Ohh, I'm so in.

Also, FFF NO NOT MAYDAY. Why does everyone use a shitty tileset? Use ASCII, FFS.(Well, I use Herrbdog's, but it's still ASCII)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast