Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ultimate Guide for Downloading Wiremod

I need scissors. 61 Colonel Thirty Two's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ultimate Guide for Downloading Wiremod

If you need help, sign in via Steam to this site and post a thread. Please do not bother the admins with friend requests or profile comments.

For most people:

Wiremod is now on Workshop. Here are the links:

The UWSVN is NOT going to be placed on the workshop at this time. It can be downloaded from https://github.com/wiremod/wire-extr...ive/master.zip

For Developers and Contributors: Git
    If you want to contribute to Wiremod, it is required that you use Git. I recommend reading the the Pro Git website/book for instructions on how to use git and information about how git works. Afterwards, sign up for a GitHub account, then fork the repository you wish to contribute to. Also, please follow these guidelines:

• Create a branch for each feature. This makes the job of whoever is merging your feature much easier, as we can accept/reject individual features without having to cherry-pick individual commits. Also, this means that your master branch can still be synchronized with the official's master branch if there is an update while you are working on a feature. Just make sure each feature branch is based off of the master branch.
    • Keep your commits small. Don't make them overly small (use your brain), but don't lob tons of changes into one commit. This is a nightmare for us when we want to accept some changes but not others.

For example, lets say you fix A, B, and C. Fix A and B are nice, and we want to accept them, but C is a mess and we have a better solution for it. If they were added in separate commits, we could cherry pick the commits for A and B while implementing our own fix instead of C, but if all 3 fixes are in one commit, we would have to separate out fix C from A and B, or at worst, just rewrite fixes A and B by hand.

This also applies to feature branches as well. If you had fixes A, B, and C into different branches, we can do an octopus merge for branches A and B instead of cherry-picking individual commits.

This section of text is archived:

There are 3 different ways to download wiremod. If you are wondering why this is not on the workshop, please see Please Do Not Upload Wiremod/AdvDupe to Workshop.

For Players and Admins: SVN
    Subversion, abbreviated SVN, is a program for sharing source code and keeping it up to date without re-downloading every file again. While Wiremod no longer uses SVN, you can still get the code via a SVN client, and is recommended for people who just want to use wiremod and keep it updated.

Here is a guide on how to get wiremod via TortoiseSVN, a graphical SVN client:
    1. Get TortoiseSVN from their website: http://TortoiseSVN.net
      EDIT: Version 1.8.0 of Tortoise SVN seems to have issues downloading Wiremod. Please download an older version in the meantime.
    2. Go to your addons folder, right click an empty space, and select "SVN Checkout"
    3. Put this in the "URL" field (RIGHT CLICK > SAVE URL): https://github.com/wiremod/wire/trunk. In the the "Checkout Directory" field, replace master with wire (so that it looks like this: steamapps/common/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons/wire)
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3, but put this in the "URL" field (RIGHT CLICK > SAVE URL): https://github.com/wiremod/AdvDuplicator/trunk. In the the "Checkout Directory" field, replace master with AdvDuplicator (so that it looks like this: steamapps/common/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons/AdvDuplicator)
    5. To update Wiremod or Advanced Duplicator, go to the addons folder, right click on the folder of the addon you wish to update, and select "SVN Update"

The SVN links are not meant to be opened in a browser. They will work in SVN even if you get a 404 error when you click on them.
    Last edited by Anticept; 08-11-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added advdupe link

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ultimate Guide for Downloading Wiremod

I'm going to keep this thread open for a bit for feedback. Please don't post unless you want something changed/added (especially in the contribution guidelines)

DJM

hi, I just wanted to point out:
    2. Go to your addons folder, right click an empty space, and select "SVN Checkout"
    I actually "Checkout" my addons folder ... and of course that did not work.
    Maybe you should change that line to something like:
    2. Go to your addons folder, create a folder (anyname) and do a "SVN Checkout"

(or maybe i just got an old svn version and a newer one would create a folder by it self ... but just in case it helps, i posted :P)

Blog Entries

Yea newer versions of tortoise default to making a folder for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Thirty Two View Post
    Here is a guide on how to get wiremod via TortoiseSVN, a graphical SVN client:
    1. Get TortoiseSVN from their website: http://TortoiseSVN.net
    3. Input this link: https://github.com/wiremod/wire/trunk, make sure HEAD revision is selected, and press OK. This will download Wiremod.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3, but put in this link into the repostiory bod instead: https://github.com/wiremod/AdvDuplicator/trunk. This will download the Advanced Duplicator.
    5. To update Wiremod or Advanced Duplicator, go to the addons folder, right click on the folder of the addon you wish to update, and select "SVN Update"
    I think those URLs are wrong for GitHub's SVN. And GitHub is having problems tonight, their servers keep returning various errors for me.

Have I mention lately that I hate GIT?
    Grocel likes this.
    "Our death ray doesn't seem to be working. I'm standing right in it, and I'm not dead yet." - Jamie Hyneman
    "Yes, managing the anonymous activity of the entire Internet is a challenge. Shoving the entire universe into a mason jar for use as a personal flashlight would also be a pesky bother." - Karl, BBR[SIZE=1]

GIT seems over complicated to me. You shouldn't be surprised when the forum is floated with "how do i use git?" or "y is my donwlaod not workng?".

Since SVN doesn't seem to work or is removed. GIT is the only way for 1-click delta updates.
    Last edited by Grocel; 10-27-2012 at 07:13 AM.

The secret phrases of gmod are: Rusty bullet hole and Walsall England
    Mappers take a look at the Wire Map Interface (WMI).
    Im a molecule!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tad2020 View Post
    I think those URLs are wrong for GitHub's SVN.
    I just checked them out. They work fine. You can't open the links in a browser, you need to use SVN (Added a note on this).

Quote Originally Posted by Grocel View Post
    GIT seems over complicated to me. You shouldn't be surprised when the forum is floated with "how do i use git?" or "y is my donwlaod not workng?".
    Hence why I am recommending it for developers only and SVN for the average user.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Thirty Two View Post
    I just checked them out. They work fine. You can't open the links in a browser, you need to use SVN (Added a note on this).
    I was, GitHub's servers were returning 404 and 500 errors and aborts on status 200.

Code:
    ("REPORT of '/wiremod/wire/!svn/bc/1829': 200 OK (https://github.com)", 175002)
    Code:
    abort: PROPFIND of '/wiremod/wire/!svn/bc/1829/trunk': 500 Internal Server Error (https://github.com) (subversion error: 175002)
    I've been "using" GitHub since around when it started, and I can't say that it's gotten much better in that time. I'm very biased against GIT, mostly because until rather recently, support for GIT on windows was... lacking, and finding a GUI GIT application with shell integration and that actually works has been impossible.

ETA:

Yeah, seems to be an issue with the svn-bridge on these projects, other ones do not give me errors when I try to clone them.
    I just spent the last hour trying to push something to another gmod project on github and ran in to nothing but frustration, no helpful documentation to the issues, and literally nothing on Google. Git is the worst source control I've ever used, and I've had to used MS's before. I'm done. F**k it.
    Last edited by Tad2020; 10-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    "Our death ray doesn't seem to be working. I'm standing right in it, and I'm not dead yet." - Jamie Hyneman
    "Yes, managing the anonymous activity of the entire Internet is a challenge. Shoving the entire universe into a mason jar for use as a personal flashlight would also be a pesky bother." - Karl, BBR[SIZE=1]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tad2020 View Post
    F**k it.
    So there's nothing that can be done, then? I just ran into the 404s.
    mr-taco likes this.

Blog Entries

I still can check them out via SVN fine. I don't know why it's not working for you guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast