Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [E2]holoModelAny

Default [E2]holoModelAny

Ok, if you seen my helicopter, and saw that it used the holoModelAny extension, you probably dumped it as most servers don?t have it. My simple solution is to add that to SVN BUT and this step is important, add a Lua number (bool) to each hologram that will say if it?s a custom model or not.
    Like so:
    On holoCreate() it will be set to 0, as the model is default, on holoModel it will go to 0, and on holoModelAny it will go to 1.
    Now that there would be this number, we would modify the holoScale function:

C code [don?t say a word!]
    Code:
    //Where TargetScale is a vector and isCustModel is a Boolean containing info about the hologram

If(isCustModel)
    {
    	TargetScale= clamp(TargetScale,0,1)//scaling of more than 1 is not supported
    }
    Else
    {
    	TargetScale= clamp(TargetScale,0,50)//default settings
    }
    The above code needs explanation, I know it?s not Lua, but I prefer to type C code. Ok, if the hologram is a custom model, it will disable holo scaling that is bigger than 1 (Math.vectorClamp), if not it will enable scaling as normal.

I have talked to TommyLobo and he said that:
    Quote Originally Posted by TomyLobo
    holoModelAny requires reworking some size restrictions, so people dont just spam huge holos everywhere
    there is a problem with the holo models' bounding boxes, which jbaker88 is fixing atm
    this problem needs to be addressed before reworking these size restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Unsmart
    How about leaving custom models unscaled?
    Some models are already too large for holos if unscaled. Just wait for it, it will be implemented eventually
    I offer to make a holo model block list (of huge props).
    I think that my solution is simple, yet powerful and would finally bring the beloved holoModelany to WireSVN.

Also, even if you say no, don?t lock this thread, please, I want to know what people think about this idea.
    Last edited by TomyLobo; 09-22-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Removed the extra topics. #2 has been implemented already. #3 isn't really necessary and will be done some time
    Server permanently down
    AC-130 Hologram contraptions 1 Holo contraptions 2 EGP stuff Holo minigun Holo javelin rocket launcher
    Unsmart: I doubt the intelligence of some people.
    Drunkie: Nobody could have said that any better than Unsmart.

Divran: there are more retarded people than there are clever people in this world

Default Re: [E2]holoModelAny

How about the ability to use arbitrary models that are already in GMod/HL2 as hologram models? You just need to change the material and colour and you're good to go.
    Dictated but not read,
    Abigail Buccaneer

That is the plan, Azrael.
    There is just this size limiting problem...
    "It's easy to win forgiveness for being wrong; being right is what gets you into real trouble." - Bjarne Stroustrup

"[...] god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance [...]" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

How about have a maximum AABB size? You can adjust the size to whatever you want as long as the AABB is inside the maximum one.
    Dictated but not read,
    Abigail Buccaneer

Well, there's also the bit of making ti play nice with holoScaleUnits, which I'm assuming is being worked towards.

If I remember right, the idea was to set the initial scale such that the largest dimension ends up equating to the length of the default cube, and allowing the existing limits to just work as usual.
    I seem to remember suggesting that if that happens, we get a function to retrieve the number of units needed to get it life-size, or somesuch, but now....

Perhaps a holoScaleReset() command, that sets a hologram to be life-size/default scale, provided such a size is within the master limit?

holoScale(1, vec(1, 1, 1))

Das ist guuuuuuuuuuud

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    How about have a maximum AABB size? You can adjust the size to whatever you want as long as the AABB is inside the maximum one.
    that is also the plan
    but there is this slight problem that holoScaleUnits is currently quite inexact (Talix can tell you details)
    This needs to be fixed first. jbaker88 is working on it he said.
    "It's easy to win forgiveness for being wrong; being right is what gets you into real trouble." - Bjarne Stroustrup

"[...] god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance [...]" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    How about the ability to use arbitrary models that are already in GMod/HL2 as hologram models? You just need to change the material and colour and you're good to go.
    thats what holoModelany does.

Also, tommy, my idea removes the problem of your hit-something problem, as I don't allow scaling>1, as for the ScaleUnits, I will simply make it return nill, so it wont set.
    Last edited by Unsmart; 09-22-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Server permanently down
    AC-130 Hologram contraptions 1 Holo contraptions 2 EGP stuff Holo minigun Holo javelin rocket launcher

Divran: there are more retarded people than there are clever people in this world

BUMP, this is a must have adddon to wire

holograms=lagfree->cool
    holoModelAny holograms->100000x cooler than above.
    Server permanently down

a scale of 1 is already too large. I told you before, why do you bring it up again?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast