Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Add Keybindings to Gmod Tools

I'm amazed that after a ton of research, I kept coming up empty-handed in coming up with keybindings for gmod. It has taken me 2 days of research on-and-off to come up with a way to do key-bindings. Hope this helps!

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-spacere;overflow:auto'>
    bind "1" "use weapon_physgun"
    bind "2" "gmod_toolmode remover; use gmod_tool"
    bind "3" "gmod_toolmode weld; use gmod_tool"
    bind "3" "gmod_toolmode wire; use gmod_tool"
    </div>

Now you can cycle thru your physgun, remover, welder and wire tool with 1,2,3,4. That&#39;ll save you some scrolling around.

A couple things:

1) I&#39;m not a big CS playa&#39;, so I added these bindings in console. How do I add these permanently?
    2) I do not know the names of all the tools, in case you want to add others. This thread had some other tool names:
    http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/s...d.php?t=248990
    3) I&#39;d love to be able to add more keybinds with shift+1 (thrusters), control+1 (wheels), shift+2 (ez-weld), control+2 (button). CS experts know how this is done?

tags: key binding, keybinding, keyboard shortcuts, gmod_toolmode, gmod_tool

If you want to make them more perminant (thought they stay if you concole them anyway) you can put them streight into your garrysmod\garrysmod\cfg\config.cfg file
    yay?

3) I&#39;d love to be able to add more keybinds with shift+1 (thrusters), control+1 (wheels), shift+2 (ez-weld), control+2 (button). CS experts know how this is done?[/b]
    i think it may be.
    Bind "Shift+1" blah blah blah.
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Super Easy Wire Download

If you want to keep your original config.cfg file (you know just in case) then what you want to do is make another config file, call it whatever (such as keyBinds.cfg) and just put all your key bindings in there and you need to make one more file called autoexec.cfg (must have that name) and put a line and put a line of code in there: exec keyBinds.cfg

Optionally, you could just put your keybinds in the autoexec.cfg file.

Files must go in &#39;garrysmod/garrysmod/cfg&#39;

Thanks for the code by the way! I was wondering how to do that myself

Yeah, that&#39;s what I loved about GMod+ back in the 9.04 days was the tool bindings. Quick, easy access to the more useful tools is a must!

hi everyone,
    this is my first post and i hope it already is a helpful one ^^

to get that shift+1 or ctrl+3 thingy working you only need to know about how to write an alias.

to create one you type:

alias ALIASNAME "one or more console commands"
    i.e. alias hello "say hello" or alias xyz "say cya; disconnect"

if you bind hello or xyz to a key now and you push it, all commands inside the alias will be executed
    now for what you want there is another kind of alias, it goes like:

alias +xyz "this is being executed as long as you hold the key which you bound +xyz to, but..."
    alias -xyz "...this will be executed emmidiatly after you release the key again"

so with this you can make something like:

alias +alternate "bind 1 thrustercommandwhatever; bind 2 wheelcommandwhatever; bind 3 ...."
    alias -alternate "bind 1 whatsoeveroriginalbinding; bind 2 ..."
    then you bind +alternate to shift. now whenever you hold down shift your 1 2 3 keys will be bound with your commands until you realese shift again and the original bindings are back.

hope this is understandable and helps, have fun

Lifetime Supporter shadowkeeper's Avatar

CS experts know how this is done?[/b]
    What makes you think that only CS players know how to do such things?

Anyway, it should store your new binds from console to the config file when you exit the game, but when it doesn&#39;t (and that does indeed happen for some unknown reason) you can add them yourself (just add them at the bottom of the file), or as stated before you can put them in a separate config file and then have that config file loaded by either the autoexec or by the config file itself (you can even add keybindings to call different files to change your keys on the fly (you want a different setup depending on the gamemode for example).
    I am nowhere, yet I am everywhere, I am the eyes that don't see but see all, I am therefore I live

What makes you think that only CS players know how to do such things?

Anyway, it should store your new binds from console to the config file when you exit the game, but when it doesn&#39;t (and that does indeed happen for some unknown reason) you can add them yourself (just add them at the bottom of the file), or as stated before you can put them in a separate config file and then have that config file loaded by either the autoexec or by the config file itself (you can even add keybindings to call different files to change your keys on the fly (you want a different setup depending on the gamemode for example).[/b]
    Or you just type host_writeconfig into console
    “Saying Java is good because it works on all operating systems is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders.”

to find all the wire tool names type "find tool" in console

Lifetime Supporter shadowkeeper's Avatar

Cool

Or you just type host_writeconfig into console [/b]
    oops, forgot about that one , oh well no-one&#39;s perfect
    I am nowhere, yet I am everywhere, I am the eyes that don't see but see all, I am therefore I live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast